We can and must do more to re-imagine the ways in which we keep our communities safe and healthy and thats why the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act is an important step forward.
Key reforms in this bill include:
- Setting a strict national standard for use of force by police officers
- Expanding the Department of Justice’s ability to conduct investigations into police departments nationwide
- Establishing a national police misconduct database and requiring states to report use-of-force incidents to the DOJ
- Banning the use of chokeholds as well as “no-knock” warrants in drug cases at the federal level
- Limiting the transfer of military equipment to police departments
- Making lynching a federal crime
Every single member of the Senate should support these reforms immediately, and our voices are needed in this fight to make it happen.
We need to show Democrats in the Senate the overwhelming grassroots support for this legislation. Add your name to our petition calling on every member of the Senate to support the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021.